GORHAM, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Fire damaged a cabinet-making business along Route 114 in Gorham Tuesday morning.

Five departments responded to the 3-alarm fire, which closed down Route 114 for much of the day.

Town & Country Cabinets has been in business for 40 years. The family-run company started in Portland and then moved to their location on Fort Hill Road in Gorham in the 80s. The business is run by brother and sister team, David Smith and Carol Short.

The two were inside the building with two employees and a dog when the fire broke out. Everyone made it out safely, but because of the materials in the shop the fire spread quickly.

Gorham Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre says firefighters faced a number of complications on scene; a double roof protected by metal that was tough to break through to ventilate the fire, a number of combustible materials, and trouble accessing the inside of the building due to the second floor caving in. Despite all of that, firefighters were able to salvage quite a bit of equipment, which has shop employees a little more hopeful they can rebuild quickly. Owners say the fire appears to have been sparked by an exhaust fan on the second floor.

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
Read or Share this story: